* 20 – 25 gm. young bitter melon
* 15 gm. Sliced lean meat (chicken/pork)
* 1 tbsp. salted cooked black soy beans (Tau see)
* 1 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
* 1 tsp. fish sauce
* 1 tsp. chopped shallot & garlic
* 9 to 11 tbsp. water
1. Wash bitter melon clean. Cut open bitter melon lengthwise.
2. Scoop out and discard the spongy white pulp and arils (if any) inside.
3. Cut bitter melon either lengthwise into sticks or slice diagonally.
4. Heat up a tablespoon of oil.
5. Add in chopped shallot and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant at medium heat. Add in meat and stir fry till it is half cooked.
6. Add in black bean, soy sauce, fish sauce and water. Mix ingredients.
7. When water boiled, add in bitter melon.
8. Cover ingredients to simmer for about 5 minutes.
9. Remove lid and turn over ingredients. Allow to simmer, occasionally turning over ingredients until bitter melon has softened to your liking. (The cooking time depend on whether you like the bitter melon quite raw or well-cooked as well as thickness of the melon. Add a little water if you like it softer and cook longer).
More about the medicinal use of Bitter Melon:
BITTER MELON: DETOXIFY AND IMPROVE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR TOLERANCE – (New window)