Here’s a quick and easy steamed salmon dish recipe to banish cholesterol and lower blood sugar. Omega-3 oil in salmon is heart-friendly, lowering blood pressure and triglyceride levels.The Chinese think highly of cloud-ear fungus (Auricularia polytricha) for improving ‘blood fluidity’ by mopping up fats, breaking up clots in the blood and expelling them out of the body through defecation. I like cloud-ear because its crunchiness contrasts with the flesh of salmon and compliments vegetables in this dish. Moreover, bland cloud-ear soaks up the sauce, making eating this dish tastier.
In Scientific jargon, cloud-ear is hypoglycemic, anticoagulant and cholesterol lowering. Taken as a whole, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 in this dish cleanses us internally, promote beautiful skin, prevent cancer and promote cardiovascular and metabolic health.
This recipe is great for the health-conscious, people with diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
* 1 slice salmon
* 10pcs. French beans
* 1 ¼ inch carrot or a baby carrot
* 2 to 3 pieces dried black cloud-ear fungus
* A few thin slices of ginger
* Tapioca or corn starch (optional)
*2 tsp. oyster sauce
* 2tbsp. fish sauce or soy sauce
* 5 to 7 tbsp. water
* 1 tsp. chopped shallots
* ½ tsp. sugar (optional)
* A few drops fragrant black sesame oil (optional)
1. If French beans are too long, cut diagonally into shorter lengths.
2. Peel and cut carrots into sticks.
PREPARING CLOUD-EAR FUNGUS:
3. Soak cloud-ear fungus until saturated with water (about half an hour). Then, wash the fungus.
[The cloud-ear will soften and swell to several times its original size]
4. Snip off the hard part of the fungus that was attached to the tree with scissors. Cut cloud-ear into smaller sizes.
PREPARING SALMON (optional):
5. Coat the defrosted salmon with a thin layer of starch powder.
6. Heat up frying pan and coat bottom of pan with a little oil.
7. Sear both sides of salmon slightly until golden color. Transfer to a heat-proof dish.
8. Stir-fry shallots in a little oil until fragrant in a pan.
9. Add in rest of ingredients except sesame oil.
10. Mix until sugar has dissolved and turn off heat.
PREPARING THE DISH:
1. Arrange a few slices of ginger on the salmon in the steaming dish.
2. Arrange fungus and vegetables on both sides of salmon.
3. Pour sauce over salmon and vegetables.
4. Put prepared dish into a pre-heated steamer. Close cover.
5. Steam for about 10 minutes or until flesh flakes off the salmon easily. [If you did not sear fish, the flesh will turn opaque white and flake easily when cooked.]
6. Remove dish from steamer and add a few drops of sesame oil to sauce. Remove ginger slices if desired.