Black Sesame Dressing
[Goma dressing (goma-ae)]
• 3 tbsp. black sesame paste
• 1 to 1½ tbsp. honey
• 3 tbsp. Japanese black vinegar (“kurozu”) or white vinegar
• 3 tbsp. soy sauce
• 2 to 3 tsp. Black sesame seeds, roasted and finely ground
1. Blend black sesame paste and honey.
2. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients one-by-one. Make sure to add each ingredient gradually as you whisk so that the sesame paste will dissolve nicely and the sauce won’t become lumpy.
3. Funnel sesame dressing into a squeegee bottle with a narrow nozzle.
• A packet of meat floss
• Toasted white sesame seeds
• Toasted walnut (break into smaller pieces)
• A packet of nori seaweed for rolling sushi (about 20cm. X 11 cm each)
Grate or julienne a variety of crunchy root vegetable and fruits such as:
Jicama, carrot, zucchini, radish, apple, pear, mango etc.
1. Place a sheet of seaweed on a clean board or surface.
2. Put a thin layer of meat floss on the seaweed. Leave about 1 cm. Of a longer, vertical edge of seaweed uncovered. Do not sprinkle meat floss too close to the edges of the seaweed.
3. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and pieces of walnut on meat floss.
4. Place a band of vegetables/fruits on top of sesame layer aligned vertically with edge of seaweed.
5. Squeeze a line or two of black sesame dressing on filling, following direction of vegetables/fruits.
6. Roll up ingredients.
7. Cut rolls into shorter lengths and serve.