It is beneficial for weight watchers who wish to reduce their blood triglycerides (fats) and prevent buildup of cholesterol; the beauty conscious who wish to detoxify and have clearer skin; diabetics who want to reduce huge sugar swings in their blood; the constipated who long for easier bowel movement; those who want to reduce the risk of cancer or just reduce summer heat problems.
• ¾ cup broccoli cut into florets
• 1 small carrot
• ½ cup jicama cut into slices
• 1 tbsp. chopped ginger
• 1 Shallot thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp. Teriyaki sauce
• 1 tsp. Brown sugar
• 4 to 5 tbsp. water
• ½ tsp. cornstarch made into runny paste
• A few drops of Sesame oil
• 1 ½ tbsp. Cooking oil
1. Mix together teriyaki sauce, sugar and water.
2. Heat up cooking oil in a wok or flat-bottom pan. Spread the oil so that it covers a wider area of wok or bottom of pan.
3. After oil has heated up, add in sliced shallots and ginger to stir-fry until fragrant.
4. Add in carrots and cook in about 4 to 6 tablespoon water. After water has boiled, turnover carrots and turn down heat to simmer. Occasionally turn over carrots.
5. When half of the water is gone, add in rest of the vegetable and toss until broccoli is tender. (About 5 to 10 minutes)
6. Add in teriyaki-brown sugar sauce and stir-fry for about 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Add cornstarch to sauce to thicken.
8. Adin a few drops of sesame oil, mix all ingredients together and dish out.
Benefits of this dish
• The vegetables are loaded with Vitamin C and beta-carotene to boost immunity and promote better skin health.
• Fiber plays its magic by scrubbing your intestine clean so that you can digest and absorb nutrients better as well as prevent food stagnation, which can lead to smelly flatus and constipation. The fiber absorbs fat and eliminates it through defecation. The vegetables prevent buildup of cholesterol (Anti-cholesterolemic) and serve as prebiotic to strengthen the good bacteria in your gut.
• It improves your skin condition by promoting urination and better bowel movement.
• Vitamin C, A and E are important nutrients for stronger, better lubricated skin that wards off wrinkles and skin blemishes.
• Urination reduces blood pressure, which is good for the heart.
• Compounds in the vegetables fights cancer. The anti-carcinogenic compounds in broccoli are sulforaphane and indoles; carrot has carotenoids and chlorogenic acid; jicama fights cancer with inulin and other antioxidants.
• Antioxidants in jicama prevent gastric mucosal damage by scavenging free radicals.
• Traditional Chinese medicine uses carrots to strengthen all the organs.
• Vegetables in this recipe reduce inflammation. Low grade inflammation increases the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes and certain inflammatory pain-related ailments.